Sunday 24 June 2007

Medicine

Benny has a cough and is occassionally vomiting. Jenny also has a little cough but otherwise seems fine. These little ailments always cause disagreements between Pon and myself. It is one of those different culture things. Pon always wants to give them medicine as soon as possible. Thai people love medicine - they must have more pharmacies per head of population than anywhere.

I don't believe in rushing to give the children medicine. I don't think it is good for them to unnecessarily put drugs into their systems when I think their immune systems will deal with most ailments. The other thing is Pon does not worry too much whether the medicine is totally appropriate. She gave Ben anti-allergy drugs for his cough which left me distinctly unimpressed as I don't think he has any allergies. She on the other hand is convinced I am showing a lack of care by not giving medicine.

It is one of those culture differences that you have to find a way round to make these relationships work.

No comments: