Thursday 11 October 2007

Start of the Vegetarian Festival

The vegetarian festival has started in Phuket. This annual event (see Phuket Vegetarian Festival) is certainly the weirdest event of the year in Phuket. Nobody fully knows where the origins of this strange event come from but it was certainly Chinese settlers or visitors who introduced it a long time ago. Since then it has developed into a bizarre spectacle with street processions, body piercings, displays around the Chinese temples and all sorts of weirdstuff going on. It is 10 days of pure madness and just has to be seen.

There are a number of rules that should be followed for the 10 days. The main one is that you should only eat vegetarian food. Others include wearing white clothes, no alcohol and no sex. Pon makes an effort to adhere to a vegetarian diet. There are vegetarian foodstalls everywhere this time of year so it is not that difficult. I play along when we go to see the events but otherwise I continue as normal.

We went to the Downtown area of Phuket Town this morning for the first full day. We had vegetarian food and bought some white clothes. At one point Ben gave us a nasty little scare. Pon had crossed the road to buy some food. Ben suddenly decided he wanted to join her and dashed across the road. Luckily there were only a couple of motorbikes coming and they managed to stop in time. He has never done it before and we had relaxed. It is a reminder that you only have to relax for a second with kids and something terrible can happen.

Before we went to the vegetarian festival we went to the gym and I had a go at the yoga class with Pon. I have always heard that yoga is hard work but I was surprised. I was absolutely soaked in sweat by the end. Still it makes a nice change from the usual workout so I might do it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your non-compliance with festival tradition leaves me no choice but to contact the Phuket Vegetarian Festival Authorities... I can only presume that your home will be pelted with rotten tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, I've just come across your blog. I'm glad to know that you are living in Phuket because I'm originally from Phuket and Yes, I am a Phuketian!

I just want to say that The Vegetarian Festival in Phuket is not the weirdest event.Also,
You said that NOBODY knows where the origins of this festival but I just want to correct you on this, We,Phuketian who have the believed really do know how this festival developed.

I do beleive every or any country in this world have thier own customs or festivals. And I think you know that too.

However, I know this is your blog and you have the right to expressed anything on your mind. But,You should aware that others who know the facts would not happy to read this and on anothers hand for those who have not seen or know the fact would likely to believe it. Otherwise,If this is your opinion. I think you should said so or clearly state it.


Thanks

Phuketian said...

Hi Kate,
I'm certainly not knocking the festival. I think it is a fantastic event but it definitely is weird.

As for the origins of the event. I have to stick with my opinion that the exact origin is not really known. I know lots of people who say they know the origin but most of them have different stories. They are all variations of visiting Chinese introducing the tradition but then the stories differ. Was it tin miners or a Chinese entertainment troup? Was it a disease, poison, drought, strike, rebellion, etc?

Anyway, I would certainly be interested to hear how you believe the festival developed.