Friday 7 November 2008

Life is Good

The good weather seems to have arrived bang on schedule at the start of November. I expect we still have a bit of rain to come but it has been beautiful for the last few days. As I was playing on the beach yesterday with my kids, I couldn’t help but think about how absurdly good a life I have here. My life mostly involves doing things I like.

I have to do a bit of work on the computer but it is not exactly taking up all my time. I get to spend a lot of time playing with my kids. It can actually be quite exhausting but I still love playing with them. I play football once or twice a week and usually go to the beach afterwards. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I used to play a little bit of golf in England but for the 7-years I have been in Thailand, I had not played a game. Recently, I started golf again. Nick is a member at Phuket Country Club and was kind enough to give me an old set of clubs so I can get back into the swing of the game. I always enjoyed my odd game of golf in England but playing in Phuket is a far better experience.

There are lots of good things around Phuket to do with the family. On Sunday we went to the zoo. The day before, we went to the beach. Over the next 6-months of the dry-season, we will do trips to many of the beaches and islands around Phuket. There are so many beautiful spots and many great restaurants.

Marco and the gang from Manchester have been in Phuket for the last two weeks.. That meant a few nights out in Patong. I am no longer the biggest fan of Patong but it is still good fun for the odd night out. Marco is one of those guys who feels his spiritual home is Thailand. He lived here for a couple of years but had to return home for health reasons. He is now working feverishly in Manchester to get enough money together to set up a new life in Phuket. Watching Marco work so hard to get back out here reminds me how lucky I am to be here all the time.

Marco and the gang returned home a couple of days ago but as one set of drinking buddies leave, others return. Gil and Nick are both due to return from working offshore in the next week or two.

Life is pretty good. It makes me worry that something must go wrong. The one big cloud I see on the horizon is the world economic crisis. If it hits as hard as it might, then those of us in Thailand will certainly not be sheltered. Already, the British pound has taken a battering. That makes for a painful hit on my spending power and the same for many other Brits in Thailand. Still, we cannot predict the future so there is no point worrying about it too much. There is a lot to be said for the Thai attitude of living for today. We can try to prepare for the future but we shouldn’t forget to enjoy today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim

I must say, it sounds like a fabulous family life. Thanks for making Phuket accessible and interesting for many first time visitors.
Speaking of which, I'll be coming with my three small kids, husband and parents to Phuket for 2 weeks on a sailboat in December. Still trying to find two nights in a nice hotel over New Year's Eve without being forced to pay at least $70 per head for a "gala dinner" for the family - not exactly what we need with three kids under 8. What is it with New Year's, anyway? Does every restaurant do this as well, in addition to the hotels? It seems designed to double every hotel bill.
How would you spend a family New Year's Eve in Phuket?
At this point, for us it will be in a tent!

Thank you and keep it up!

Karen

Phuketian said...

Hi Karen,

Yes the "gala dinners" are nothing more than a way for the hotels to double their revenue for xmas and new years eve. The thing is this is the most popular time of the year and all the major hotels will be fully booked so people have no choice but to pay. It is like a peak peak-season charge. I think all the major hotels do it.

You do need to book accommodation well in advance because come New year, everything will be fully booked.

Your best chance is to look for smaller hotels. They are much less likely to play this game.

I think Nai Yang is a lovely beach, away from it all and good for the kids to play. You could check out this place.

Airport Hotel

Despite the 'Airport' tag, it is actually very quiet, has a pool and is a short walk from the beach. It is probably small enough that they do not do the 'gala dinner' but I don't know if they will have rooms available.

Best of luck. If you find somewhere I am sure you will have a good stay.