Thursday 1 May 2008

Marco Back

So with old friends Marco and Gil both back in town, we all went out for a big night out in Patong on Tuesday night. It is good to see Marco back. He lived here for a couple of years until he had to go home for health reasons. He's an entertaining guy and was in good form. He loves it in Thailand and is keen to move back so he is working on putting away enough money to set himself up out here again.

It was Champions League night, Man U v Barcelona, and they are all Man U fans, including Huwy. How cliche is that. They are all good guys but I can't help feeling some disdain for Man U supporters. In all fairness, Marco is actually from Manchester. Gil and Huwy, the same as 99% of Man U fans, have never been to Old Trafford but still claim to be the most passionate fans in the world.

Man U won 1-0 so they were all very happy. Not surprisingly, they were not put off by my disdain for the Champions League and opinion that it was actually a boring game. Unless Spurs ever qualify for the CL, I will continue to look down on the competition as just the money making machine for the top 4 clubs that makes it impossible for anyone else to break their monopoly on the league. That is what the CL was designed for and it has turned the English Premier League into a predictable closed shop. Of course, if Spurs ever qualify I will be really happy we are getting a slice of the money.

We tuk-tuk'd home about 4am absolutely hammered. I felt crap the next day but wouldn't you know it, I had a load of work to do so I had to grind through it despite my a massive hangover. I'm just about recovered now.

Turns out I won the gym challenge. However, I can't really claim it was any great achievement as only 3 people entered. Strangely, they are not rushing to give me my prize shirt.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I am one of those 99% of Man U fans that has never been to Old Trafford, the good news is I’m going there to watch a game in November!! When I was a kid I used to go and watch Arsenal play every other week, you know the good old days when you were lucky to get home with your life. Lol. However they lost my support when Wenger decided that Arsenal should the only Premiership team without an English player in the squad. Anyway the style that Man U play is very addictive and so, C’MON Man U the double could be yours!

Phuketian said...

mmmm, I just don't know what to say. On the one hand I thoroughly applaud your decision to stop supporting Arsenal. On the other hand, changing teams is just wrong and Man U are such an easy option to choose. Why not Reading? Relegation battles are much more exciting.